Football Leaks founder passed on financial records of Africa’s richest woman, says lawyer. Revealed: how Angolan ruler’s daughter used status to build $2bn empire. A Portuguese man behind one among the most important exposés within the history of football has been identified because the source of a leaked cache of monetary records about the business empire of Africa’s richest woman, Isabel dos Santos.

Lawyers for Rui Pinto, who is awaiting trial in Portugal on charges including alleged hacking and attempted extortion, said in 2018 he passed a non-profit whistleblowing organisation a tough drive containing data concerning Dos Santos’s business empire, which is estimated at $2.2bn.
Pinto is that the founding father of Football Leaks, which revealed tip about a number of the world’s leading teams, which resulted in inquiries by tax authorities into several top players.

He wasn’t previously known to be the source of the Luanda Leaks, a trove of 715,000 emails, charts, contracts, audits and accounts detailing the business operations of Dos Santos, whose father ruled Angola for 38 years before stepping down as president in September 2017.

The Guardian, the BBC and therefore the ny Times were among 37 media outlets that earlier this month reported on the contents of the leaked documents, revealing the complex financial schemes that helped Dos Santos amass vast a fortune at the expense of the Angolan state. Dos Santos denies she became a billionaire through nepotism or corruption. https://www.judibolaterbaik.co judi bola terbaik

The files were initially obtained by the anti-corruption charity Platform to guard Whistleblowers in Africa (PPLAAF), which shared them with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).

n Monday, PPLAAF identified the founding father of Football Leaks as its source, saying during a statement: “The source of the Luanda Leaks is that the whistleblower Rui Pinto.”

“PPLAAF is pleased that when again a whistleblower is revealing to the planet actions that go against international public interest,” said William Bourdon, the president of PPLAAF and also a lawyer for Pinto.

Bourdon, a French human rights lawyer who has also acted for Edward Snowden, added: “Like within the case of the Football Leaks, these revelations should leave new investigations to be launched and thus help within the fight against impunity for financial crimes in Angola and within the world.”

The ICIJ’s director, Gerard Ryle, said: “The leaking of this material to PPLAAF, and successively to ICIJ’s media partners, provided indisputable evidence of unnecessary misery that was inflicted on the standard people of Angola, and therefore the role of enablers who got rich by helping. The documents came from a concerned citizen – someone doing the proper thing by the general public .”

Since the publication last week of the Luanda Leaks, Dos Santos has been named as a criminal suspect in Angola, where prosecutors are investigating alleged embezzlement and mismanagement of funds during her leadership of the state oil giant Sonangol.

Dos Santos denies accusations of nepotism and corruption. She has previously denounced Angolan criminal inquiries and media reports about her financial affairs as a part of a politically motivated “witch-hunt” by the new Angolan president.

“The allegations … are extremely misleading and untrue,” she said in her most up-to-date statement. “This may be a very concentrated, orchestrated and well-coordinated political attack, before elections in Angola next year.”
In its statement identifying Pinto because the source of the Luanda Leaks, PPLAAF said “the disclosure of the documents to PPLAAF wasn’t politically motivated”.

The Football Leaks website, launched in 2015, said its mission was to “show the hidden side of football”. the knowledge it obtained and eventually shared with journalists around Europe raised concerns about the financial practices of a number of the world’s biggest football clubs.

Pinto, who was operating from Budapest, was detained in Hungary in January 2019 and extradited to Portugal in March. Earlier this month, a Portuguese judge ruled he would stand trial.

Pinto faces 25 years in prison if found guilty of all 90 charges against him, his lawyer said. the fees include attempted extortion and hacking into the key information at variety of organisations. He denies all wrongdoing and has never accepted the fees .